Monday 22 April 2013

Letter to Brethren (For Those I Know By Heart)
















I
Dear brethren!
As wind enthuses the muse of promise

I wish you know how time passes here
Leaving me in frozen epoch of despair

Since creation has rejuvenated my faded vision
And set the paradise of my survival on the tome of words

I have then suffered like waif and stray
Through the decade of rehearsed pledges

I have perused through the cantos of promises
To discover my name stencilled with watery ink
On the downy page of hope

I have glimpsed through the firmament at nocturnal hour
To see my crescent veiled by cloudy haze of time

But whenever courage and spirit are depressed
And the hope of escape out of this squalor fluctuates
Like drive of ship engulfed by perplexed blizzard

I envisage the dream of serene sky and verdant field of promise land
Set for me in the prophecy of undiscovered vision
And I commit myself to paper again

II

Brothers,
Whenever I am out of your caressing sight
And left with pains of my wisdom  

I always long to tread a land
Never before imprinted by feet of men  
But the way seems snowy and my feet are scrawny

Sometimes the winter appears severe
But spring promises well
And I see myself a determined mind

Though I know I am in the arid desert of solitude
Where no one shares pain and dejection  

III

Do remember
That no prophecy comes in duet
As true vision never comes twice in dream

My life has been passed in luxury
But I prefer pain to every enticement that providence
May place on my path because of this dream

If morrow comes and this dream dies
Like that of wanderer on bloody street of Kano
Don’t whimper!                                                                                         

For not all stars have the glory of night
But if this dream survives the anguish of toiling century
Don’t let it die!

I rest my pen here, brother
For much words if said from dawn till dusk
Never satiate the craving of hungry basket

Here I pocket my pen looking towards your rejoinder
This is the voice of your apostle of pen

Your sincere brother of the same rising sun
Rabtob

No comments:

Post a Comment