Monday 8 April 2013

Pen Speaks With poet Malik: An Interview


'writing is a vast platform through which the world can be positively changed’

This afore-quoted is the view of Rasaq Malik Gbolahan when asked about writing and the world as the inseparable duo and synergy for change. He is a poet far from the daunting pool of criticism and this is due to the fact that he believes his poems as ones for the down-trodden masses; and word as an avenue through which the world can be subjected to criticism. He does not believe in the erroneous notion that ‘art should be for art’s sake’.


2010 can be said to be a year of breakthrough when discovered himself as (in-born) poet and literary critic.  His works have got featured on literary giant websites like SentinelNg and Nigerian national dailies while some have been shortlisted in many poetry contests.  As a young promising African writer, he has impacted many with his restorative poesy garnished with egghead and sublime typical African imageries and metaphors.


 Pen Speaks met him for an interview after he won the 2013 Yimucentral poetry contest with his poem titled Tonight:






Pen speaks: Can we meet you?


Poet Malik: I am Rasaq Malik Gbolahan by name. Born(in the early 90s) and bred in a town named Iseyin in Oke Ogun, Oyo State. I am the first born in the family of four; my father,a civil servant, was born in Iganna, like other children born in the rural area. He spent his childhood striving to make a living, at least till the time he joined the other boys in the village school. My Mother is from Igboora.  She is the reserved type, a cynosure because she is also the first born. I didn't meet literary books at home as many writers would say, but my exposure and literary voyage into the art when I was in pre-university stages (S.S.2) aided my writing. My father’s shelf is copiously emboldened with Islamic and Yoruba books. I lived a secluded life in my childhood days as I had to survive under parental restriction. My father is a highly- disciplined Man and we weren't allowed to spend holidays outside the town. He also taught his children the act of sweeping, washing and consistent cleanliness. At present, I am a finalist in the University of Ibadan.



Pen Speaks: You won Yimucentral poet of the year, how did you achieve this?


 Poet Malik; All praises be to God. I submitted my poem as others did. The winner was later selected in accordance with the competition’s rule, and the poem with the highest number of votes emerged as the winner and that is a poem titled Tonight by Rasaq Malik G.


Pen Speaks: What was your first reaction when declared winner?


Poet Malik: (Laughs). I was glad you know. It was a miraculous victory. It got to a point that I wanted to quit because i had tried my best posting and sharing the link. When I saw my name on their site, I felt elated.



Pen SpeaksTonight is a love poem, what inspired it?


Poet Malik: Inspiration is a paramount thing in literary discourse especially when pushed to write about your experiences. Like “tonight”, I found myself in love, enmeshed inside the web of love with a girl I met some months ago. In the bid to profess those intense feelings to her and I was tingled to write, write and write. Tonight presents a serenity that weds the dusk. I like it when the atmosphere enlivens my mood; it rekindles my urge to write. The poem bears the epistle of admonishment, reminding her about the inevitability of death in the last stanza.



Pen SpeaksSome people tend to believe that love poem can be written by anybody without literary orientation, do you bid with this?


Poet Malik: Everybody writes love poem, either to satisfy their urge for love or to woo a particular lady. You can’t compare someone who is a maestro in writing with someone who is not, they will write on a similar theme but the efficiency of both will be totally polarized. Banality shouldn't be condoned, it’s either you are in or out.



Pen Speaks: What is writing to you and when have you been writing?


Poet Malik: Writing to me is a quest for spiritual definition. It is a journey a writer embarks on to see what is concealed in the tangled world. Writing is a solitary adventure, yet a demanding and challenging venture. I write to heal and see visions beyond the imaginary. One secret, I write at my best when I am sad. You see a forlorn poet in a bereaved society, an exiled mind scribbling poems that hunt.

   I wrote my first poem in SS2. That was an elegy I wrote after the death of a human rights activist and a lawyer with untainted integrity, Gani Fawehinmi of a blessed memory. I read famous poets and poems; John Donne, John Milton, Wole Soyinka, Niyi Osundare, Andrew Marvel, Leopold Senghor, e.t.c

However, I started serious writing when I got admitted to university of Ibadan for my tertiary education. I had to do some readings after meeting a friend (also involved in literature) told me about some poetry books. Later, I read and wrote until I posted on Facebook some years back and received criticism from writers who have been of help in honing my skill.



Pen Speaks: As a young promising poet, how do you balance up between writing and criticism?


Poet Malik: Writing and criticism are necessities that are hugely needed in literary arena. They are working dependently. I write and I send my poems to critics because i have friends who are good at both. I don’t joke with criticism but I revere greatly, criticism without berating the poet persona.



Pen Speaks: Society tend to believe that an average writer is egocentric, any rejoinder to this?


Poet Malik: Egocentric? That is like daring the snake when your feet are weak to run. You can’t sing when you have a croaky voice. If you are egocentric, you are digging your grave before death. Even the famous ones among writers relate with due respect with others, even with upcoming writers. Tade Ipadeola is a type that loves to relate with upcoming writers; he is a father in the literary circle. Writing is not for you to load your head with pride. Like the words of our elders, one should walk gently for thorns are on the road to success.



Pen SpeaksThis achievement is a memory that has come to stay in you, who are those you would like to show gratitude to?


Poet Malik: God leads, then the list is endless. As they normally say, oluwa yoo bami san won lesan rere.(God will help reward them)



Pen SpeaksAnybody as your mentor?


Poet Malik: Every writer influences me. I read books that question my thought. I read poetry books and I try to learn from what I read. I like writers who write memorable lines!



Pen SpeaksWhen shall we expect your first collection of poetry?


Poet Malik: I am done with my first poetry book. Publishing is not easy you know. If everything works out as I plan, early next year Insha Allah.



Pen Speaks: Any other poem for your fans?


Poet Malik One of my crawling lines?


BóLÁTITó

(For my mother)


Yours is not the fragments of

A broken egg, never!

Yours is not the tamed tongue

Of an obstinate rafter

Who applauds the wind

For the death of the tree


Bolatito, in the tribe of mothers

Who lull their children with lullaby

When the night spreads the wings of darkness

Yours is the echoing drum on the minaret of time

So, sing tonight,

Wura mi, heal the season with your magical touch

Your feet are moons to walk the paths of approaching nights

Break the shell of riddle, nothing new in the home of seer

Who soaks his attire in the basin of palm oil

Or tell me, who dares thrash the masquerade

With whips? Agbodo


You are beyond the rage of thunder

For you render the rain useless

By invoking the spirit of my muse

I, a brook, I learn from the road

You trek, so tonight

You are the lingering memory of my impregnable songs.


Pen Speaks: thank for being here. hope we meet you next time, good bye.





My Great Web page

2 comments:

  1. Wao! This is great bro. Congrat to poet Malik.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, really excellent diary! Man .. Good .. impressive .
    . Log on bookmarks, feeds, and also take the .
    ..

    Review my web blog: home based online business ideas

    ReplyDelete